Doctor Richard "Rick" Trager is a former Murkoff executive turned Variant doctor, who performs torturous surgeries on other patients that he has captured in order to both learn about their physiology and to sell the body parts. These surgeries are very brutal and sadistic, and are performed in filthy conditions without any anaesthesia or pain relief, demonstrating Trager's insanity and cruelty. Trager is voiced by Alex Ivanovici.
Richard Trager was once an executive for the Murkoff Research Development wing of Mount Massive Asylum, during which time he took great interest in the physiology of those affected by his research. He became a surgeon obsessed with experimentation, performing live vivisection and exploratory surgeries of the various turned inmates. He wears distincting glasses, a machine-monocle, and a bloodstained surgeons outfit, including a torn surgeons mask and bloodied surgery apron. Though he is insane like the rest of the asylum's inhabitants, he seems to be highly functioning, with only his obsession with experimentation betraying his mental state. He is capable of intelligent and clear speech, and he often address Miles as "Buddy".
Doctor Trager is sadistic, but he still shows signs of understanding and clarity, as opposed to someone like Martin Archimbaud, who is completely delusional. He is very cunning, employing acts of trickery and deceit in order to capture his victims, an example of this being when he tricks Miles into entering the dumbwaiter. He believes himself to be a surgeon, and collects body parts from those he dissects.
Miles hears Trager beckoning him through a dumbwaiter, and climbs inside to escape a group of pursuing Variants. When he exits the dumbwaiter, he is beaten to the ground by Trager, then picked up and placed into a wheelchair. He is then then strapped into the chair with arm and leg restraints and rolled down the hallway. They briefly stop near the asylum exit and Trager taunts Miles, telling him that he's free to leave and to take a stroll, which Miles of course cannot due to the restraints. Trager then takes him up an elevator leading deeper into the building, and Miles sees the various victims Trager has dismembered.
Trager takes Miles to a filthy bathroom that he has converted into a makeshift operating room, then takes Miles' camera and sets it down on the sink in front of him. Trager washes his hands, and then begins talking to Miles about religion and Father Martin. He then grabs a pair of large shears and cuts two of Miles' fingers off, with the stated intention of selling them, and then leaves the room. Miles then breaks out of his restraints, leaves the room and discovers another victim of Trager tied to a hospital bed, who reveals that he, like Trager, is a former Murkoff executive. The executive begins to struggle and yell for Trager, who then murders the executive, and upon discovering that Miles has escaped, begins scouring the entire floor in search of him. After Miles avoids Trager and grabs the elevator key, he runs into the elevator and attempts to escape to a lower floor. Trager breaks through the elevator door when it's in motion and struggles with Miles, who ends up pushing him back through the door. As the elevator was in motion, this crushes Trager to death and causes the elevator to jam. Miles then has to climb out through a hatch in the roof.
Trager's corpse can be seen on the floor next to the elevator he was crushed in, having been pulled out by a pair of Murkoff Tactical soldiers.
- "You made the right choice here, buddy.
- "C'mon man, get in! I've seen what they're capable of!
- "Hey, you're that little shit priest's guy aren't you? His... witness or whatever. You must be exhausted. Lets take a break, huh, buddy? The old two martini lunch, have a little confab.
- "...heavier than you look. A little cardio wouldn't kill you. Okay. Here we go. Arms and legs inside the car at all times.
- "I love the mountain air up here at night. You want to head out, take a stroll? Go ahead, I'll wait here.
- "Go on, run free. I'm in no hurry. No? Alright.
- "Nose to the grindstone. I like that. Okay then. Right this way.
- "Shhh, shh. You weren't putting that tongue to any use anyway.
- "Truth be told, I was just tired of licking my own stamps.
- "Here we are, then.
- "Thanks so much for coming by. We'll begin your consultation in a moment, I'll just need a second to wash up and...
- "Oh... home movies! ...And it'll give us a chance to talk.
- "You know I'm a bit worried how much time you've been spending with Father Martin, I know...
- "I hope you haven't been letting him confuse you with his holier-than-thou bible thumping.
- "No offense to the man, but I sometimes worry he might just be a little bit... crazy.
- "It's understandable, people get scared, they're as like to turn to God as anything else. God died with the gold standard. We're onto more concrete faith now.
- "You have to rob Paul to pay Peter, there is no other way. Murder in it's simplest form, but what happens when all the money is gone?
- "Well, money becomes a matter of faith. And thats what I'm here for. To make you believe.
- "You're paying attention? Don't pass out on me, there's still a lot for you to absorb.
- "There. Better now, right? Do you understand what we achieved here? We made the consumer into the means of production. This thing is going to sell itself!
- "I see what's happening here. You're bored. You want a little attention. Perfectly understandable. Well I'm here for you. I'll give you very special attention.
- "Fuck! Fuck! Really? You're gonna walk on me?
- "If there is one thing I cannot god damned stand, is a quitter! Come on!
- "I should have cut his feet first, amateur move.
- "Hey, nobody likes a quitter!
- "I'm a closer. Thats who I am!
- "Okay, Okay, I'm here, listen I'm in a middle of a consultation so you'll have to make it quick.
- "whoah! arn't you a quick little buddy, okay this isn't a problem. I can solve this, hang right there for me!
- "Lets teach you the seven habits of highly eviscerated people.
- "Paying Attention!
- "Let me...
- "Sell you...
- "I need you to be working with me here buddy!
- "Hold up there buddy! I'll be right with you.
- "Oh, come on, buddy, we're not done yet.
- "Somebody has to win and somebody has to lose here, I don't make the rules.
- "Oh god damn it, how did you get out? We're gonna have to do something about those hamstrings.
- "Aren't you a slippery little fucker?
- "Alright....Alright, you can figure this out. Let's...solve some problems.
- "Aw, buddy. What are you trying to do? I gave you a chance didn't I? Didn't old Rick try to give you a hand? Well I can't help somebody who doesn't want to be helped. You're fired.
- "Let me sell you the dream!